Tuesday, November 20, 2012

the idea

I have an idea. 

Well, I have lots of them: but with this one, I know I am on to something. 


I am constantly thinking about the concept of Christianity being a thing that we do. An action. Maybe I am the only one that missed this, and I promise there were times I wasn't paying great attention- but I am obsessing over this new found discovery in my faith: people will not see love, unless I am DOING THINGS to show it to them. This is more than deciding you love everyone, and you will be nice. This is service!


So, as I have pointed out before: I have been blessed to understand two systems functioning within my community. I am part of a Christian support system here that is phenomenal. My church is legit. They loooooove us with service, and hugs and kisses, and words of affirmation. I am so blessed by them. They have overwhelmed with love through actions and service. My teachers...


But I also live in a town home community of people in situations closer to mine. Single mothers, single dads, families with addiction issues, families money problems, non-traditional families. My neighbors are all so beautiful, and they all have inspiring love for their children, and just like me, are doing their best. I love these people. I love our little commune.  We support one another with babysitting, borrowing anything and everything, picking something up for someone, giving each other food, and always using each other to vent or laugh with while the kids play.


So, I have an idea.

I want to start a service organization. I want to assess the needs of the single parent homes (and I think I would do this through several focus groups; yep- I've gotten this far in my plan); I want to assess for needs that can be met through service, not money. There are lots of them, believe me! As a single mom, an act of service from someone is life changing, humbling and JESUS. 

Once, I've assessed the needs, and have a good needs bank started:


I want to ask local churches to participate in this service organization. I want to ask Christians to give these families love through actions. And any church that wants to participate will have their willing congregation members fill out a skills assessment. What is your passion? What do you love to do? What do you have skills in? Cooking? Kids? Sports? Plumbing? Handy-work? Cleaning? I want members to really explore what makes them happy to do for others. For me it's giving the mom's in my neighborhood that break that I know we all need. I like to take their kids for the afternoon, and hope that they are home taking a deep breathe and getting caught up however they need to. 


Once there is a skills bank, and excited people to serve: I will put the needs of the families together with the skills of the Christians, and we will love through our actions. 


So that's my idea; please feel free to help me develop it! 


Peace and love, gangstas.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment